- New Cat Patients
- Is your kitty new to TLC? Here are a few tips on how to make their first visit a success..
Spay and Neuter Services in Reisterstown, MD
At TLC for Pets in Reisterstown, MD, we want every dog and cat to have a long and happy future. If your pet still has his or her reproductive organs, we encourage you to take advantage of our spay and neuter services for local dogs and cats. Learn how these routine operations help our patients and other pets.
Preventing Overpopulation in Reisterstown
Our veterinary team cares about each and every animal in the Baltimore area. It's not okay that cats and dogs are still dying because of overcrowded shelters, and we believe it's important to do our part to help prevent further overpopulation.
We encourage all local pet owners to spay or neuter their four-legged family members, so that every dog and cat has a fighting chance to find a loving forever home. Of course, we work hard to keep these routine procedures low-risk for every patient, monitoring their vital signs closely and administering anesthesia gradually to reduce the risk of complications.
Health Benefits of Spay and Neuter Surgeries
Your pet also benefits when you choose to spay or neuter. Whether you have a female dog or a male cat, this preventive procedure will eliminate specific health risks and give them a brighter future. Spay and neuter procedures reduce risks of the following for our dog and cat patients:
- Cancer: Some types of reproductive cancers, such as ovarian cancer for spayed female pets and testicular cancers for neutered male pets, are far less likely
- Urge to Wander/Get Lost: Breeding instincts may cause unaltered pets to escape or roam, looking for mates and being exposed to accident, fight, and theft risks
- Heat Cycles: If you have a female cat, spaying her will prevent the yowling, frequent urination, and other side effects of her regular "heat" cycles; these symptoms are annoying for humans but painful and confusing for cats, so it's important to help prevent them
- Urinary Infections: Male dogs and cats may have lower risks of urinary tract infections after the procedure, especially if they're neutered as puppies or kittens
Importance of Spaying and Neutering Now
If you have a new puppy or kitten, it's important to schedule your pet's spay or neuter surgery as soon as possible. Dogs and cats who are altered before reaching sexual maturity will not begin to experience puberty or the instincts and symptoms related to the reproductive process, and the cancer and infections risks are also lower. At your pet's first wellness checkup, ask your Reisterstown veterinarian about spaying and neutering your new pet.
How to Schedule Your Spay or Neuter Surgery
At TLC for Pets, we want to make your pet's preventative care as accessible and convenient as possible. Our veterinary hospital in Reisterstown, MD, is open seven days a week for routine wellness and preventive care, and spay/neuter procedures are among our most popular services. Call us today at (410) 833-1717 to schedule a procedure for your dog or cat at our Reisterstown veterinary hospital.