- New Cat Patients
- Is your kitty new to TLC? Here are a few tips on how to make their first visit a success..
Laser Pain Therapy
At TLC for Pets in Reisterstown, MD, we know your pets are your family. We also know that if your pet is in pain--whether from an injury, illness, or while recovering from surgery--you don't want to see your animal suffer. That's why our veterinary team is proud to offer a variety of advanced technology and comprehensive veterinary services to help your pet be as pain-free and as stress-free as possible. Laser pain therapy is just one example of a service we provide to help keep you and your pet at ease.
What Is Laser Pain Therapy?
Laser pain therapy (also known as low level or cold laser therapy) is a non-invasive technique that has been used on humans for decades as a way to promote pain relief and healing. Increasingly, veterinarians have also been utilizing laser pain therapy to provide the same restorative benefits to animals, including cats and dogs. As a service, it is non-invasive, drug-free, sterile, safe, and effective, with no known side effects. Pets who have received laser therapy often experience immediate and long-lasting pain relief and relaxation, with a faster return to their normal activity levels.
How Does Laser Pain Therapy Work?
During a laser pain therapy session, a veterinarian uses a special wand to direct a beam of low-frequency light at a specific area on a pet's body, either at or near a wound, injury, or surgical incision. The low frequency of the laser beam allows light photons to penetrate the desired target area, triggering a cascade of healing responses. These responses occur due to the way the light photons interact with the animal's tissue on a cellular level. Specifically, the photons of light inspires a neuro-chemical process within cells called "photo-bio-modulation," which causes the cells' mitochondria to produce molecules called ATP. ATP acts as fuel for cells, and is vital for cellular repair, regrowth, and regeneration.
What Can Laser Pain Therapy Be Used For?
Laser therapy can be used on a variety of physical ailments in pets, including:
- Traumatic wounds
- Surgical incisions
- Skin conditions
- Arthritic joint pain
What Are The Benefits of Laser Pain Therapy for Pets?
In humans and animals alike, laser pain therapy provides several significant benefits, including:
- Natural and drug-free pain relief. Laser therapy can inhibit pain-transmitting nerve cells and increase the level of natural painkilling substances produced by an animal's body.
- Accelerated healing. This technique stimulates new capillary growth, thereby increasing the flow of blood, oxygen, and nutrients to the injured tissue.
- Reduced swelling. Laser therapy activates the lymphatic system, which naturally and effectively promotes drainage away from the area.
- Improved tissue repair and regeneration. In addition to providing more energy to regenerating cells, laser therapy also promotes collagen production and healthy scar formation.
Is Your Pet in Need of a Little TLC? Contact Our Reisterstown, MD Veterinarians Today
Whether your animal is suffering from an acute traumatic injury, recovering from surgery, or simply struggling with some age-related aches and pains, ask our veterinary team in Reisterstown if laser pain therapy can help. To schedule an appointment or to learn more about all our veterinary care services, call us today at (410) 833-1717.