5 Signs It May Be Time to See a Veterinary Dermatologist
Dogs scratch themselves often. Sometimes it does not mean anything, but other times it is a sign of a problem that needs attention. At TLC for Pets in Reisterstown, we can help determine if your pet needs attention from our veterinary dermatologist. Here are five signs your pet needs attention from a veterinary dermatologist that you should be aware of.
Signs of skin problems
- A rash. Any irritation can cause a rash, but if it lasts for more than a couple of days and is causing your pet discomfort, a dermatologist can help. A lot of things can cause a rash, including ingested substances your pet is allergic to.
- Irritation. There are other skin irritations beyond rashes. Your pet could have an irritation resulting from a scratch or a cut. This can lead to infection, which can lead to serious medical problems if not addressed promptly.
- Allergic reactions. Many pets have allergy issues, and they often affect the skin. Our veterinary dermatologist will conduct a series of tests to determine what your pet is allergic to and what can be done to address the allergy.
- Bald areas or hair loss. Dogs shed hair, but they should not have bald spots. If you notice bald spots on your dog, bring them to our veterinary dermatologist for assessment.
- Excessive scratching. If your pet is scratching a lot more than normal, it could be a sign of fleas or other pests that are causing skin irritation. Our veterinarian will help eliminate the pests and help your pet avoid them in the future.
Pet Dermatology in Reisterstown
Skin problems can be incredibly uncomfortable for your pet and can lead to serious issues if not addressed by a dermatology professional. If your pet is exhibiting any of these five signs, contact TLC for Pets. For more information on pet dermatology or to schedule an appointment, call us at (410) 833-1717.