Call Us Today

hamburger
  • Blog >
  • Protecting Your Pet from Poisonous Plants
RSS Feed

Protecting Your Pet from Poisonous Plants

Keep These Plants Away from Your Pet and Avoid Unexpected Veterinary Care

Many common plants are poisonous to both cats and dogs and can cause reactions that range from digestive discomfort to death if treatment from a veterinarian isn't sought out right away. At TLC for Pets Veterinary Hospital in Reisterstown, we have treated pets who have ingested poisonous plants. While we're happy to see you at our animal hospital for regular treatment, we want to help you learn more about plants that aren't safe for pets and avoid an emergency care visit.

Common Poisonous Plants

You may have brought home or planted a species that is poisonous to animals but was never aware of the fact. Not all pets chew on plants, and if you place plants out of reach of pets, they are at lower risk of getting ill. However, when you know a plant is poisonous to animals, you should avoid bringing them home. Here are some of the more common poisonous plants:

  • Lilies
  • Kalanchoe
  • Daffodils
  • Amaryllis
  • Azalea
  • Jade plants

Signs of Poisoning

Some plants cause a mild digestive upset that passes on its own while others are more toxic and can result in organ failure and death if not treated immediately. The signs of poisoning are similar in cats and dogs, and you should call our animal hospital as soon as you see these signs after a plant has been ingested:

  • Excess salivation or drooling
  • Vomiting
  • Diarrhea
  • Lethargy
  • Seizures
  • Weakness
  • Stomach pain
  • Tremors

Contact Our Animal Hospital in Reisterstown

Whether you have an emergency situation or need an annual checkup for your pet, call TLC for Pets Veterinary Hospital today at 410-833-1717 to see our veterinarians. Keeping your pet healthy under any circumstances is key to longevity and lets you enjoy your animal’s companionship as much as possible.