Call Us Today

  • Blog >
  • Poisonous Plants
RSS Feed

Poisonous Plants

When having plants to your home, it's important to consider which of those may have ill effects for your pets. Flowers that may simply look and smell nice to you, but could be poisonous to your pets. If your pet ingest these poisonous plants, call right away TLC Pets in Reisterstown. Our veterinarian can help your pet get the care and necessary treatment needed.

Common Poisonous Plants

The following are among the most common household plants that could be harmful or fatal to your pets.

  • Autumn Crocus
  • Azalea
  • Cyclamen
  • Kalanchoe
  • Oleander
  • Dieffenbachia
  • Daffodil
  • Lilies (Tiger, Day, Asiatic, Easter, and Japanese show lilies are among the most dangerous)
  • Lily of the Valley
  • Poinsettias
  • Sago Palm
  • Tulips and Hyacinths

You might be aware that some of these plants are poisonous, or you may have these plants in your home or garden without realizing. If you must have a poisonous plant in your home or yard, ensure that your animal cannot come in contact with it. Consider hanging the plant out of your pet's reach. Clean up any dropped leaves or petals as soon as they fall to prevent your pet from ingesting them.

Typically, these ill effects occur when your pet has eaten part of the plant, and some parts are more poisonous than others. Beware of dogs who dig because they may dig up bulbs, which can themselves be poisonous like tulips or daffodils. Chewing on roots of the cyclamen plant is also risky because of its poisonous properties. Watch out for leaves of oleander, sago palms and lilies. For other plants, the petals are more problematic.

Symptoms 

If your pet has been poisoned, you might notice symptoms such as vomiting, diarrhea, excess drooling, itching, red eyes, sensitive skin, and even comas. It's important to contact our animal hospital veterinarian as soon as you recognize that your pet has come into contact with a poisonous plant. The longer you wait, the more prone your pet may be to have a serious complication. These plants can have fast-acting effects.

Pets who do come into contact with poisonous plants may be able to recuperate if you bring them to our veterinary hospital so that they can receive the proper veterinary care.

Call Our Animal Hospital Right Away

Call TLC for Pets in Reisterstown at (410) 833-1717 immediately if you think your pet has ingested any part of a poisonous plant. Our veterinary care provide great support to your pet and our name basically say it all, Tender Loving and Care for Pets.